Well…from the comments I received on the last post, it is obvious that I should take up writing about the essentials of freelancing.
As a freelancer you are your business’s sole representative, a lot more responsibility of pulling in business lies on you. Putting in some extra efforts to get paid nicely is worth it. These extra efforts may include investing in some important machines and tools to track your work and having record of your work.
Here are some important points to work on when you are about to start your freelancing gig
– Have a good workstation and comfortable place to work at. It might so happen that you might have to work more than 10-12 hours from that place.
– Internet connectivity is of utmost important for all types of freelancing assignments. Loss of internet connectivity is like losing your business. Invest in an internet connection with possibly good bandwidth
– Keep most of the office use material handy, you never know which stuff might be required at any point of time.
– Create and Maintain important documents like invoices, your timesheets etc. to have a clear track of what are you up to. Besides giving you an idea of pending payments it also tells you the amount of work you have performed during the last period.
– Scanning documents wherever necessary and linking them with your excel sheets or time sheets is also a good option to centralize all the resources at one place.
– Have a printer or scanner handy. You can also choose to invest in buying the best of these machines once you are earning sufficiently. Make it a point that you maintain all your important machines periodically.
– Update your CV regularly, as this is the only document which serves as an interface with the client.
– Register yourself on all top social networking sites in order to share your work in case you are supposed to.
– Pay attention to the Intellectual Property while sharing something on the web.
These are off course words of caution for making the most out of freelancing. Remember what you invest is what you get. So, at first it is necessary to invest in a lot of positive energy in whatever you do. The rest will certainly follow with this kind of posts or through your experience.